A bassinet is a soft mattress for babies and toddlers usually has sides and a front or back panel of fabric or wire mesh. Parents use a bassinet so they can sleep with their babies asleep right next to them.
A sheet keeps the baby safe from drafts, over-heaters, pinched fingers, and accidental suffocation while providing warmth at night.
Bassinet sheets are the same as fitted crib sheets. Infants and toddlers cannot roll over in bassinets, so a fitted bassinet sheet is ideal.
Fitted bassinet sheets are made to fit the mattress’s shape, while you can use flat sheets if the mattress is large enough and the baby has not outgrown it. Many different bassinet sheet sets and bassinet mattress pads fit securely under or over a flat or fitted bassinet sheet for added comfort. Bassinet sheets come in various colors and patterns and can be made of cotton, flannel or a variety of different fabrics.
Bassinet Sheet Sizes:
Fitted bassinet sheets are the same size as crib sheets so that they will fit your bassinet perfectly. Flat sheets for bassinets are slightly smaller, usually extending by an inch on all sides beyond the mattress. They are also shorter in length, usually 1 to 2 inches.
Bassinet Pad Sizes:
Fitted and flat bassinet mattress pads are also available, though not all bassinets have pockets for these items. You can use them with fitted or flat sheets to help make the mattress more comfortable for the baby.
Bassinet Sheet Features:
Many bassinet sheets come with features that make using them easy. These include:
1) waterproof cover for extra protection from accidents,
2) zipper for a quick and easy way to put the sheets on and
3) gussets to help the sheet fit securely in the corners of the mattress.
4) Some bassinet sheets are made with extra padding on the fitted sheet corners, so they do not dig into a baby’s body.
5) Loop sheet ends to make it easy to adjust the sheets when they are a little tight.
6) Bassinet sheets often have straps so that the baby can be securely held in place by the sheet and pad or bassinet.
7) Bassinet sheets are made from flannel, terry cloth, cotton flannel or satin. They come with a variety of patterns and colors, including solid colors and coordinating color schemes.
8) Grommets in the corners of the sheet allow air to flow through and help prevent overheating.
9) Bassinet sheets wash easily in the washing machine, though some may have to be spot cleaned or hand washed.
10) Bassinet sheets dry quickly during warm weather or put in a clothes dryer when needed.
How To Put A Sheet In A Bassinet?
Before putting on the sheets, put the baby in it to make sure there are no loose threads or rough edges that could catch a baby’s skin or scratch the baby’s face while he sleeps. If there are, you will need to trim off any excess fabric and sewing loose threads securely.
1. Decide on the style of bassinet sheet that you want to use, either a fitted or flat sheet, depending on your mattress size. If you have a standard crib mattress size of 22″ by 34″, a flat sheet will fit your bassinet perfectly. If you have a larger crib mattress, choose a fitted bassinet sheet. A flat sheet works well with even larger mattresses; however, it will not reach the baby’s feet.
2. Snap the grommet ends of the sheet.
3. Slip one sheet’s end around the side of the mattress, through the grommet, and in front to make a loop at each end. Let one end drop down to cover the corner of the mattress. Repeat on the other side.
4. Position one corner over a pillow on either side or top of two pillows if your bassinet comes with straps to hold it securely in place with no need for a blanket or pad underneath it.
5. Don’t forget to put a pillow under the baby’s head to support his neck and keep him from rolling too far off the mattress.
6. If you want the baby to be held securely, slide two fingers through the straps and hold them in place until they are tight enough.
7. Use as many sheets as you need to eliminate drafts and block out light.
8. Make sure each sheet fits properly around curves, corners and high spots.
9. If your baby is not yet old enough to crawl, a flat sheet will keep him snug against the mattress while he sleeps, just like it would if he were lying on top of it.
How To Make A Baby Comfortable In A Bassinet?
1) Put a small pillow under their head, which makes it easier for them to sleep.
2) Put a small blanket about the size of your baby to keep them warm.
3) Make sure that the bassinet is big enough for the baby to move around freely but small enough that they do not roll off or get stuck when turning over.
4) Do not put anything else in a bassinet with a baby in it because it can increase the risk of suffocation and other health hazards.
If you have a baby, you are aware of the needs that a baby has in his sleep. To make his sleep more comfortable, you need to ensure that he sleeps anywhere soft for him. If this is done, then he will be at peace and can enjoy rest. You need to buy the appropriate material, some sheets and mattress pads and place them in your bassinet too. In this way, you will make your baby’s sleep comfortable and easy for him to move.