What Is Swaddling?
Swaddling is a way of wrapping up your newborn in cloth, such as a blanket or receiving blanket. One method is to wrap the baby snugly so that its arms are held against its body, and both feet are together.
Why Do People Swaddle?
Swaddling can help calm babies and make them sleep more soundly. It can also help them stay warm and feel more secure when they’re lying on their back. In addition, swaddling can help babies who have colic.
The Appropriate Age Of Swaddling?
The first few weeks of life are the best time to swaddle, as your baby’s developing respiratory and digestive systems aren’t fully mature yet. Babies who are up to 4 months old can be safely wrapped in blankets. Younger babies, who cannot hold their heads up or roll over at this time, may still benefit from swaddling.
What Should You Use For Swaddling:
There are many kinds of swaddling clothes and blankets available. Choose the type that’s right for you:
Receiving blankets – These are thin, lightweight blankets made from cotton or flannel. Some parents prefer them because they’re soft, but because they’re thinner than other types of cloth, parents can use them until a baby is about 2 to 4 months old.
Wearable blankets – They’re similar to the swaddling clothes you sometimes see on newborn babies in the hospital. They’re usually fastened with snaps or Velcro closures.
Is It Safe?
Although the practice of swaddling your baby is said to have a calming effect, they are often prevented due to its risks and potential dangers. It is advised that swaddling should be used with caution by parents, pediatricians, and medical professionals. Swaddling can lead to health issues and risk factors like:
– Risk of Suffocation
– Risk Of SIDS
It can also be very demanding because it requires constant monitoring of the infant for safety.
How To Correctly Swaddle A Baby?
This baby burrito practice is also believed to have a calming effect on infants, but it may pose some risks if not done correctly. Parents must be knowledgeable of the proper way of swaddling their babies to ensure safety and longevity. Follow the steps below:
1) Find A Flat Surface: A flat surface is much more preferable when swaddling your baby. Avoid using a mattress because it is too soft.
2) Place Your Baby: Place your baby in a face-up position where it is comfortable.
3) Begin With One Arm: This practice of swaddling was initially done with one arm. The starting point should be the right forearm starting from the elbow.
4) Wrap The Arm Around Your Baby’s Chest: The arm should be wrapped around the chest comfortably and tightly. It should be snug to offer comfort to the baby.
5) Wrap The Forearm: After wrapping the arms, wrap the forearms with each other in a tight manner. It should be snug for safety.
6) Hold The Top With Your Hand: The top should be held by the parent’s hand securely; this will prevent the baby’s arms from moving too much and maintain its position.
7) Wrap The Baby’s Legs: Tightly wrap your baby’s legs so that it will not move around while sleeping; this will secure a snug position but not too tight.
8) Now Wrap The Feet: After wrapping the legs, place the feet on top of the legs to stay secure to prevent the baby from squirming around and applying their body pressure differently. To avoid having your baby’s arms escape, hold them together.
9) Check For If The Baby Can Breathe Properly: The head of your newborn should be slightly lifted for him to breathe comfortably.
Swaddling or wrapping the baby is not a restraint, and it is used to comfort your child. By using these steps, you can practice this art safely without harming your precious newborn.
Benefits Of Swaddling:
1. Swaddling can help provide your baby the needed rest as it helps in soothing them.
2. It helps to stay warm by guarding their bare skin with blankets or covers to keep them warm at night but not constrict their movement.
3. It can also help reduce the crying of your baby as it will soothe them and put them to sleep.
When Should You Stop?
There is no minimum length to swaddle your baby, but there are some things that you should be wary of. If you have a problem with the clothes or skin of your baby, then you must stop the practice immediately. Your baby may have some skin rashes, and for this reason, you must be very cautious about this.
If the swaddling technique is causing some problems with your child’s growth or motor development, stop practicing it immediately. You have to watch out for any effects on their body while practicing this, and if anyone has a negative impact, you should stop immediately.
You need to know what dangers swaddling babies may include. Although it is believed to bring comfort to your baby and a calming effect, there are risks of death or other health problems.
Swaddling can be a beneficial and safe way of calming your newborn to help them sleep at night, but you must do it carefully. Follow the steps properly to ensure that your baby stays healthy and safe.