Once you decide to get a crib, the next question would be whether you should get a bassinet in addition to the crib or just a crib. The pros and cons of each can help decide what item is best for your baby.
Bassinet: Pros and Cons
Pros Of Bassinets:
If you’re a new parent-to-be, what should you do if the nursery is small? The answer is to get a bassinet. Bassinets are mini cribs that parents can put next to their bed so their baby can sleep nearby. There are some advantages of bassinets:
1) They’re easier to transport than a crib.
2) Less bulky than a crib.
3) You can care for the baby in them without having to open blinds.
4) They can be used as travel cribs.
5) You can get the bassinet in different styles that match your preferences.
Cons Of Bassinets:
They also have some disadvantages:
1) They are not safe for the babies to sleep in.
2) They are more expensive than a normal crib.
3) It’s hard to find one that is made from scratch-free wood and has non-toxic paints.
4) You cannot use them for babies who have reached the maximum weight limits, which for most bassinets is 25 pounds.
5) There is a risk of suffocation when your baby sleeps in the bassinet.
6) It is not very sturdy, and the babies can easily fall out of it.
7) The other risk factors include SIDS risks, strangulation, and entrapment.
Bassinets are not for babies who have reached the maximum limit of their weight limits. They are also not for parents who cannot care for their child without opening blinds or going to bed, as it’s hard to take care of your child while lying down, and the baby might fall out.
Types Of Bassinets:
The wooden bassinet is the most popular kind of bassinet that’s available. It is wooden, and it has rails on all sides to make sure the baby can’t fall out. It has a lovely appearance, but they are very expensive. Parents can use the shelves underneath it to keep diapers and baby clothes.
The Bars Bassinets:
This bassinet does not have any sides so that the baby can fall out easily, but it fits nicely into small rooms.
Cribs: Pros and Cons
If you are on a tight budget, then a crib is what you should get. Cribs are cheaper than bassinets. Another advantage is that you can store your baby’s things in the crib when it’s not used.
Pros Of Cribs:
There are some advantages of using cribs:
1) It is very sturdy compared to a bassinet and provides a baby’s safe sleep environment.
2) You can store a lot of things in the crib.
3) It has non-toxic paints, which makes it safe for your baby.
4) They have safety mechanisms that protect your baby from falling out, such as the mattress and railing of a cot or crib are made with non-toxic materials.
5) It’s safer for the baby than bassinets since they reach the maximum weight limit more easily, and most of them are made from scratch-free wood.
6) They come with teething rails, which are used to keep your baby’s environment clean and the teeth clean.
Cons Of Cribs:
1) It’s hard to transport them since they are heavy and large.
2) You can forget where you put it, as the crib does not have handles.
3) They’re hard to care for since they need to be cleaned often.
4) If you have a baby with a small/medium head, it’s challenging to reach the baby when they are in the crib.
5) You need to buy a baby mattress and sheets for the crib.
6) Its time consuming and hard to assemble.
Types Of Cribs:
Cribs come in different types of materials. The materials include pine, pure wood, and metal. Pine cribs are the cheapest while also being the most dangerous for your baby. Pure wood is the safest but also costs more than a pine crib. Metal is in between both price and safety.
Crib railings also differ from one another; these include drop-side railings and stationary side railings. They come in a wide variety:
The standard crib is the most basic option; these are metal ones.
These are also metal, but the mattress is placed above the rail.
These are also metal, but they can be converted to a regular bed when the baby is older. They are commonly used by parents who have small rooms.
These have two crib mattresses placed on top of each other; they give more space for kids that share a room or live together in one house. They are primarily used for twins and triplets.
These are made from pure wood, and they have side railings; they can be converted to a headboard and footboard later on.
Bassinet Vs Crib: Buyer’s Guide
1) Know The Baby’s Weight Limit: You must understand that your baby should use their bed until he reaches the maximum weight limit. Bassinets are unsafe for babies over the maximum limit, so they need to sleep in a crib if their baby is above this limit.
2) Know The Sleeping Environment: Know the sleeping environment where your baby will be sleeping. This environment includes whether you have carpets or not and pets, as pets can be a hazard. Also, what is the room’s temperature, as it can affect your baby’s sleep quality. Knowing this will help you with deciding which cribs should be bought.
3) Watch Your Baby: Watch your baby make sure they are not getting out of the crib. If you are awake, you should still check it every once in a while to make sure your baby is okay. Many babies get into trouble when their parents check on them every few minutes or when they sleep with the babies.
4) Care For Your Baby’s Bed: When caring for your baby’s bed, make sure to clean it promptly as well as replace parts if needed.
5) The Smell: You should often clean your baby’s bed to get rid of any bad smells, as they can cause problems for babies.
6) Check The Material: Make sure the crib is made from non-toxic wood. If it isn’t, then it might affect your baby’s health or even cause death.
7) Always Remove The Crib Bumper: The crib bumper should always be removed so the baby can sleep comfortably and safely.
8) Look After Your Baby While Sleeping: Check on your baby now and then to ensure they are okay when sleeping.
9) Choose The Right Storage: Pick storage that suits your baby’s needs but also one that can be easily transported.
10) The Crib’s Size: Make sure to consider your baby’s age when buying a crib. You don’t want to purchase an infant crib for your two-year-old. Also, make sure the crib fits in your room so it doesn’t take up too much space; this will help keep the room neat and clean.
How Much Should You Pay?
The prices of cribs vary from one brand to another, and the cheapest is around $20. A good quality crib with good features can be priced at $40 to $60; the most expensive ones can be between $200- $350. A lot depends on the brand. It also depends on the materials and quality of the crib’s design; you should consider this before spending more than you have intended to.
What Else Are You Going To Need?
If you buy a crib, you need a crib mattress, bedding, and a changing table. You will need to purchase the bedding and the changing table later on. Babies outgrow their baby mattresses after a year or 18 months of age.
It is better to buy a bassinet if you’re on a tight budget, but buying a crib is more convenient, and it’s safer for the baby. Buying one crib is a better investment than buying two bassinets. You can buy whatever you can afford, and that will last for a long time since babies outgrow their beds after six months or one year of age. If you have only one room or small rooms, then it’s best to get a crib. A crib can also be used by two kids or even more. It can save you time and money as well.